Through a partnership between Excellent Schools Detroit, the Michigan Department of Education, the Gogebic-Ontonagon Intermediate School District, and YouthTruth Survey, all Detroit-area schools are invited to participate in stakeholder surveying this spring.
This is an excellent opportunity to hear about what’s working and not working directly from your community members. From March 20th – April 21st, YouthTruth will support Detroit-area schools in gathering comprehensive feedback from your student, parents/guardian, and school staff communities about school climate and culture. All surveying is offered at no cost to participating schools. Your reports will come back on quickly — on Tuesday, May 9th — so that you can start using the data right away. To download a flyer about the opportunity, click here.
What’s the timeline?
- Sign-up closes at midnight on Friday, February 17th.
- Join one of the following 30-minute kick-off webinars.
(Didn’t attend a webinar? That’s okay, we’ve got you covered. Click here for the March 1st webinar recording. If you want to get straight to information about survey administration, skip forward to about 11:00 through 20:00)
- Wednesday, March 1st at 10:30am
- Tuesday, March 7th at 11:00am
- All surveys open on Monday, March 20th
- Student Surveys will be open for two weeks, from March 20th – March 31st
- Family and Staff surveys will be open for all 5 weeks, closing on April 21st
- Reports will be released on Tuesday, May 9th
- Participate in “Navigating My Reports” webinar at 1:30PM on Tuesday, May 9th or Wednesday, May 10th. Click here for a recording of the webinar.
- Join ESD, YouthTruth, and your fellow participating school leaders for a Community Voice Summit Thursday, May 25th from 9:30am – 12:30pm at Focus: HOPE Conference Center (1200Oakman Boulevard, Detroit, MI 48238). Click here for a workshop flyer.
- Registration closes Friday, May 19th and you must RSVP to attend this event.
- Please RSVP here: https://communityvoicedetroit.eventbrite.com
Professional Development Resources
- Video Recording of Kick-Off Webinar
- Video Recording of Navigating My Reports
- In-Person Professional Development Workshop Materials – Workbook and Powerpoint Deck
Custom Marketing Materials
YouthTruth is a national nonprofit that was selected by the Michigan Department of Education through a competitive open proposal process. YouthTruth has deep experience in education and survey design and has supported hundreds of schools across 36 states in gathering student, family, and staff feedback data. The reports will provide local and national comparisons as well as comparisons to other schools throughout the country with similar characteristics.
About the Survey Instruments
YouthTruth surveys measure the topics that research says matter most to creating a healthy school culture and climate. In addition to surveys of parents/guardians and school staff, age-appropriate surveys for students are available for the following levels:
- Upper Elementary (grades 3-5)
- Middle School (grades 6-8)
- High School (grades 9-12)
To learn more about the research behind YouthTruth’s survey development, please visit www.youthtruthsurvey.org/learn-more.
To see how YouthTruth questions differ from the 5 Essentials, you can find an item-level crosswalk for each stakeholder group below:
To get a sense of how the surveys and reports are formatted, please use the following links to explore a sample survey and report:
Q: Where can I find the flyer with tips on how to maximize family survey participation during parent-teacher conferences?
Q: Where can I find the social media kit with sample tweets and Facebook posts to help encourage participation?
Q: How long does it take for students, parents, and staff to complete the surveys?
A: The surveys take, on average, 15-25 minutes to complete.
Q: How are surveys administered?
A: The surveys are offered online and can be completed on desktops, tablets, or phones with web access.
Q: In what languages are the surveys available?
A: The surveys are offered in English and Spanish. Users can toggle between languages throughout.
Q: When will the data be available?
A: Reports will be delivered about two weeks after the close of the survey.
Q: Where do I find survey implementation instructions?
A: You’ll receive access to your YouthTruth account on Monday, March 6th.
Q: Who do I contact for support?
A: Your support team includes folks from Excellent Schools Detroit and YouthTruth. To ask a question of your support team, simply email email@example.com or call YouthTruth at 415-391-3070 ext. 265
Still Have Questions?
Please don’t hesitate to reach out to our team either at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling YouthTruth, toll-free at 415-391-3070 ext. 265.